now browsing by tag
Reporters Without Borders hails Faustin Bambou’s release on 23 February following an announcement on the national radio station that he had been pardoned by President François Bozizé. The editor of the privately-owned weekly Les Collines de l’Oubangui, Bambou spent six weeks in prison.He was sentenced to six months in prison on 28 January on charges of libel, insult and “incitement to revolt” over a 21 December article claiming that two government ministers received seven billion CFA francs (10 million euros) in commissions from the French nuclear energy company Areva. “Bambou’s release is a relief but we remind the authorities that he should never have been imprisoned,” Reporters Without Borders said. “He was the victim of bad faith and legal manoeuvring to circumvent the fact that, under the country’s laws, journalists are not supposed to be jailed for press offences.”The 23 February presidential decree granted Bambou “a complete remission of sentence.” He told Reporters Without Borders he was freed at about 2 p.m. the same day. His lawyers have withdrawn his appeal.———–28.01.08 – Newspaper editor sentenced to six months in prisonReporters Without Borders condemns the six-month prison sentence passed today on Faustin Bambou, the editor of the privately-owned weekly Les Collines de l’Oubangui, on charges of libel, insult and “incitement to revolt” because of an article accusing two ministers of taking kickbacks.“Bambou is the victim of judicial manoeuvring designed to put him in prison regardless,” the press freedom organisation said. “Circumventing the law to achieve this aim is very worrying for the rule of law and dangerous for the country. This distressing abuse of power by a government that undertook to respect the democratic rules will require an active response on our part.”Arrested on 11 January, Bambou was sentenced to six months in prison and symbolic damages of one CFA franc for claiming that two government ministers took several billion CFA francs in illegal commissions from the French company Areva. The court ordered Bambou’s newspaper to published its verdict. Bambou’s lawyers are to appeal.When the trial opened on 21 January, the state prosecutor requested a two-year sentence and a fine of 3 million CFA francs (4,500 euros). An attempt by Reporters Without Borders to mediate with the state prosecutor was unsuccessful. A promise to modify the charges was not kept.Bambou is the second journalist to be imprisoned since the law providing for imprisonment for press offences was repealed by the transitional parliament on 25 November 2004. The first was Michel Alkhaly-Ngady, the head of a print media union and editor of the Temps Nouveaux newspaper, who was imprisoned for two months in early 2007. CAR policeman who shot reporter must be punished, RSF says May 13, 2020 Find out more News February 25, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Editor freed after getting presidential pardon to go further Central African RepublicAfrica News News Follow the news on Central African Republic Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information RSF decries arbitrary blocking of two CAR news websites April 6, 2021 Find out more News Six years on, same unanswered questions about French journalist’s death in CAR Central African RepublicAfrica Organisation RSF_en December 13, 2019 Find out more
Email Newcastle West Gardaí move Advertisement TAGSfraudGardaRevenue Linkedin Gardaí across Ireland take on viral dance challenge WhatsApp Gardaí warn students of rental scams Man and woman arrested after Gardaí seize cash and suspected drugs worth more than €28,000 Youth arrested in connection with alleged assault on female Garda Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter Print NewsFraud warning as Christmas loomsBy Staff Reporter – December 14, 2013 704 Andrew Carey Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up [email protected]í have warned of fraudulent requests for bank details being made by persons acting as bank officials and revenue officers.A text or email is received by the intended victim informing them they have qualified for a tax refund and to log on to a webpage that appears to be the home page of the Revenue Commissioners. They then look for bank details. Gardaí have emphasised that Revenue does not issue tax refunds in this manner and will never look for bank details. Another scam involves a call from a person purporting to be from Microsoft informing the target that there is a virus on their computer and seeking bank details to pay for fixing the problem. Previous article#VIDEO – Limerick tiger kidnap sentencing case adjourned amid heavy securityNext articleLimerick Regeneration in line for European funding Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Garda investigation launched into death of woman outside Limerick
ABC News(NEW BERN, N.C.) — Hurricane Florence is pummeling the North Carolina coastline, making landfall with life-threatening storm surges and hurricane-force winds.“I see a biblical proportion flood event that’s going to occur,” Wilmington, North Carolina, Police Chief Ralph Evangelous told ABC News. “I see the beach communities being inundated with water, and destruction that will be pretty, pretty epic in nature.”More than 372,000 customers in North Carolina are without power early Friday, as residents brace for the impact of the Category 1 storm. Here’s the latest:Catastrophic flooding is feared in much of the coastal Carolinas. Rainfall has already reached as much as 2 inches per hour in parts of eastern North Carolina.More than a foot of rain has already drenched Atlantic Beach, North Carolina.In Bayboro, North Carolina — one of the areas under evacuation — resident Kim Dunn stayed behind, and now she’s trapped in her truck surrounded by rising water, as her boyfriend and his cousin are stranded on a paddle boat less than a mile away.The water is as high as street signs, and “we have no way to get to them,” Dunn told ABC News Friday morning.“They’ve been out there for about six hours now, just screaming for help,” she said. “Only communication we have with them is just me flashing my lights to them, and I think they have a flashlight they’re flickering back to us.”Dunn — mother to a 10-month-old, a 3-year-old and an 8-year-old — said she made a decision to stay behind as others evacuated.“We were trying to figure out if we had enough finances to get out, and if we were to get out, were we going to be able to get back home? So we made a decision to stay,” she said. “I don’t know how long it’s gonna be before the water actually starts to come into the apartment.”In nearby New Bern, where water levels reached 10 feet overnight, 150 people have requested rescue. Volunteers are using private boats to pitch in and help, city spokeswoman Colleen Roberts said.The downtown area, at the confluence of two rivers, is mostly underwater.“You may need to move up to the second story, or to your attic, but WE ARE COMING TO GET YOU,” the city said on Twitter.The rainfall is forecast to reach 20 to 40 inches over the next several days.Storm surge could be as high as 11 feet in parts of North Carolina, prompting officials to closely watch the rise of rivers in the eastern part of the state. River flooding may be worse than Hurricane Floyd in 1999. “Surviving this storm will be a test of endurance, teamwork, common sense and patience,” North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said Thursday. “The heavy rains and high winds are likely to spread across North Carolina and linger for days.”“We will survive this, and we will endure,” he said. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.