now browsing by tag
Kolkata: Police have arrested an app-cab driver in connection with the death of a biker at Remount Road in Kolkata Port area on July 21. The case that had initially seemed a fatal one has turned out to be murder during the course of investigation by the Fatal Section of the Kolkata Police’s Traffic department.According to police sources, at around 11.05 pm on July 21, one Sanjay Halder (31) was riding his motorcycle and was knocked down from behind by an app-based cab on Remount Road. The biker, a resident of Karl Marx Sarani in Kidderpore, fell on the ground and sustained grievous injuries on his head. He was rushed to a private hospital in Alipore where he was declared brought dead. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja”We registered a case under Section 304 a (causing death by negligence) of IPC at South Port police station and the fatal section of the Traffic department started a probe. During the investigation, it transpired that just before the incident, the victim visited a street-side eatery beside a petrol pump located nearby. There a scuffle broke out with him and one Dilip Ram, a cab driver. Later it was Ram who, in a fit of rage, intentionally dashed him. We have already arrested Ram and he had confessed to the crime,” a senior official of Kolkata Police said. The police have already amended the section of the case to murder under Section 302 of IPC. The arrested was produced at Alipore court on Saturday and was remanded to police custody till August 8.
WINNIPEG – A man accused of killing an indigenous woman whose body was found in a farmer’s field has been denied bail.Brett Overby, who is 30, looked over to his family in the courtroom as a judge ruled he must stay behind bars while awaiting trial on a charge of second-degree murder.Overby is accused of killing Christine Wood last August.The 21-year-old was from Oxford House First Nation and disappeared while visiting Winnipeg with her parents.Overby was charged in April when police said they found evidence in his house.Wood’s body was found last week by a farmer inspecting his crops just outside the city.Details of the bail hearing cannot be published under a court order.A trial date has not yet been set.
VANCOUVER – The 2017 wildfire season in British Columbia set records as the most destructive in the province’s recorded history. Here is a look at the season by the numbers:12,164 square kilometres: Area burned, equivalent to more than a third of Vancouver Island. The worst level of destruction since 1958 when 8,560 square kilometres burned.$562.7 million: Estimated cost of fire suppression. The previous record was $382 million in 2009.45,000: Approximate number of people displaced at the peak of the fires.65,000: Total number of people displaced over the entire wildfire season. The previous record was in 2003 when about 45,000 people were forced from their homes.70 days: Duration of the state of emergency that was declared on July 7. The last time wildfires prompted the province to announce a state of emergency was in 2003, which lasted 43 days.1,351: Total number of wildfires.176: Number of fires that started over a single 48-hour period on July 7 and 8.4,700: Approximate number of personnel deployed at the height of the wildfires, including firefighters and support staff. The tally encompasses the more than 1,200 personnel from outside the province or Canada and the more than 2,000 contractors who helped out.300: Approximate number of Canadian Armed Forces personnel who assisted.236: Aircraft deployed, including planes and helicopters.Zero: People who died in the fires.Source: BC Wildfire Service