now browsing by tag
A weekly feature from Ocean City Beach Patrol historian Fred Miller:The results of the first-ever county lifeguard tournament was reported in USA Today 30 years ago on July 18, 1984, : “The Ocean City Beach Patrol won the Cape May County Lifeguard Championship in Wildwood Crest. Ron Kirk and Tom Stephanik (pictured) won the one-mile, 2-man lifeboat race. Rob Guzikowski was second in the 2-mile beach run, Lee Diprizito second in the half-mile ocean swim and Tom Morrison second in the quarter-mile 1-man lifeboat race.”Last summer, the OCBP won the county championship when Brian Pasternak won the rescue board race, Dylan Kosten won the singles row, Jeff Garbutt and Matt Garbutt placed third in the doubles row, Mike Kelly placed third in the swim and Frank Brady placed third in the run-swim.The OCBP has won this tournament nine times since 2001.The 31st annual Cape May County Lifeguard Championships will be held on Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 6 p.m., on the Rambler Road beach in Wildwood Crest.__________Sign up for OCNJ Daily’s free newsletter“Like” us on Facebook
What started as a musical tribute concert has become so much more, as members of Lotus, RAQ, Particle, Digital Tape Machine and more will join forces for an all-star performance dedicated to the late great Prince. Going as “Supernatural Beings,” the group had previously announced a performance featuring the music of Michael Jackson, James Brown & Prince. Now, that tribute will take on a new role in the wake of Prince’s passing.The group features Marcus Rezak (Digital Tape Machine), Todd Stoops (RAQ), Mike Greenfield (Lotus), Clay Parnell (Particle), Emily Nichols (Woo Park), Marty Gierczyk (Chicago Funk Mafia), and Christian Rogala (Fluid Minds). With support from SPREAD, this should be one great night of music.It all goes down Thursday, April 28th, at the Emporium Arcade Bar in Chicago, IL. For more information, head here.
‘The crisis will pass’Fatima al-Dakhil got her big break as a sales manager at a French company in the Saudi city of Khobar after months of job hunting, but just weeks later Saudi Arabia took strict measures to combat coronavirus.The kingdom has so far recorded the highest number of cases in the Gulf with more than 17,000 infections and 139 deaths.Despite being frustrated by the lockdown, which has forced her and hundreds of thousands of others to abandon their offices and work from home, Dakhil is confident that women across the country will continue to pursue careers.”All my girlfriends have joined the labor market,” the 25-year-old told AFP, solemnly expressing hope the virus “crisis will pass”. Saudi women have now penetrated professional spheres at all levels — they are bankers, business owners, heads of financial institutions, border crossing officers, civil defense members, food cart vendors and shoe sellers.Male employees report that their workplaces have changed dramatically — among the many small revolutions are women’s toilets which have been introduced for the first time in some places.Saudi saleswoman Sarah Al-Dosari, 23, works at a clothing store run by three women at the Panorama Mall in the center of Riyadh.”People’s perspective towards working women was bad,” said Al-Dosari. But this attitude has been consigned to history, she said. “Now customers say they are proud of us.”The number of working women in Saudi Arabia reached 1.03 million in the third quarter of 2019, 35 percent of the total workforce, compared to 816,000 in 2015, according to official figures.Rodina Maamoun has been tasked by the owner of five stores selling women’s accessories with introducing women onto a formerly all-male staff. “Customers, especially women, feel more comfortable with female assistants — sales and profits have risen,” said the Saudi who employed 19 young women, almost entirely replacing the men. For decades, straitlaced Saudi society offered limited opportunities for women seeking a paid job and the few who did find work were mostly restricted to the health and education sectors.An oppressive “guardianship” system also gave male relatives the right to object to the women’s professional aspirations. But change came in mid-2016 when Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman unveiled his “Vision 2030″ plan aimed at diversifying the kingdom’s economy and ending its addiction to oil.The national blueprint promotes the tourism and entertainment sectors, while opening wide the doors of the labor market to millions of women by paring back the restrictions that had constrained them. Like thousands of Saudi women, Rouaa al-Mousa entered the workforce as reforms sweep the ultra-conservative kingdom and is certain that neither grumbling male bosses nor the coronavirus will change that.Armed with a college degree but bound by conservative Saudi attitudes to women working, the 25-year-old was expecting to wait years before finding a suitable job.But Mousa graduated in the midst of changes in the kingdom that have seen women flood the labor market. A woman’s world? Since the rise of Prince Mohammed, Saudi Arabia has witnessed major social and economic changes.Women are now allowed to drive cars, cinemas have reopened and genders are permitted to mix at events, including concerts, and in public places.The reforms have also been accompanied by a crackdown on dissent that has drawn widespread criticism. Some of those detained and allegedly tortured in custody are women’s rights activists who were prominent in the campaign to end the driving ban.Although the changes have been uneven, they have emboldened Saudi women to address decades of discrimination and marginalization, including graduates who are returning from Europe and the United States to seek jobs at home.”Empowering Saudi women means empowering the Saudi family,” said Rania Nashar, CEO of Samba Financial Group, the first Saudi woman to hold such a senior position.Saudi women “are ambitious and passionate about playing a role in shaping the future of their country”, she said Topics : She got a job working the evening shift as a receptionist at a government institution in Riyadh — part of a mixed team of 10 women and six men. And although the coronavirus has threatened a global recession and put Mousa in lockdown for now, she is confident the long-term trend of getting women into the workforce is here to stay.”I wanted to do my best during my studies so that I could get a job in academia afterwards, because that was the best option available for us. But big changes happened during the past four years,” she told AFP. “Almost all of my friends are now working, and when one of them doesn’t get a job, it seems strange.”
Reading have called a press conference for this morning where they are expected to confirm Nigel Adkins as their new manager. The Royals have been searching for a new boss since they sacked Brian McDermott two weeks ago, and former Southampton manager Adkins appears to be the man they have opted for. The 48-year-old has been out of work since surprisingly losing his job with the Saints in January, with his sacking coming after back-to-back promotions. Press Association Reports have linked him with replacing McDermott over previous days, though, and last night Reading confirmed they would be holding an unscheduled media conference at 9.15am today. Should Adkins be the man they unveil, Reading will become his third professional club, having started out with Scunthorpe in 2006. He stepped up to the manager’s chair after serving the Iron as physiotherapist for 10 years and twice got them promoted from League One to the Championship. A number of candidates have been linked with the post – Brighton’s Gus Poyet was heavily touted last week – while Eamonn Dolan has been looking after the team on a caretaker basis. The new manager will inherit a side 19th in the Premier League and seven points shy of safety with eight games left. Reading travel to Arsenal on Saturday before a home game against Southampton, Adkins’ old side, on April 6.
Keemstar and UMG are bringing back Friday Fortnite for Week 3 after taking a break partly due to the Fortnite Pro-Am. Friday Fortnite actually started a year ago, but ended for a number of reasons. It’s been brought back in 2019 with two events. MrSavage and benjyfishy won Week 1 while FaZe Tilt & FaZe Jarvis won Week 2. There’s a $20,000 overall prize pool with the winners taking half ($10,000) and a random viewer winning the other half. Ninja is back competing in the event again with his teammate being TimTheTatman. His first scheduled game is against LeBron James Jr. and FaZe Sway.What time does Friday Fortnite start?Date: Friday, June 28Time: 4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PTLive Friday Fortnite Week 3 bracketHere’s how the above bracket works.Pairs of competitors will join a squad match. For Week 3, let’s use Ninja and TimTheTatman as an example. They will join a party with LeBron James Jr. and FaZe Sway. They will then enter a squads match, but will not be playing as a true squad. The two teams will be battling for a higher amount of eliminations.The duo with the higher amount of elims after two matches advances. The higher seeded team hosts the first match, and then the lower-seeded team hosts the second match on their server. Duos are not allowed to sabotage the other Duos. Examples of sabotage:Breaking or weakening opponent’s built or non built structures or cover by any means.Causing opponents to miss shots or miss opportunities for advancing their scores in any way shape or form.Building in front of your opponent.Boogie Bombing your opponent.The use of a boogie bomb on your opponent at any point in the game are subject to disqualificationWatch the Friday Fortnite Week 3 live stream