now browsing by tag
Competitions Officer of the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) George Forbes says that while the idea is noble, it is currently not feasible for female cricket to be played at the local high-school level. This follows calls made by West Indies Women captain Stafanie Taylor. This, he says, is as a result of the current lack of interest by high school girls to play the sport, as well as funding, which, he says, will be key if the situation is to be changed. “It’s not feasible for us to play a girl cricket competition, as currently there are few girls and schools who have expressed an interest in playing,” stated Forbes. “In fact, I don’t know any school that has more than two or three girls who are interested in playing cricket. “Then there is the matter of funding. We don’t even have enough money to play age-group cricket for our boys, much less to take on schoolgirls cricket at the moment,” he added. ISSA currently stages cricket competitions for high school boys at the Under-14, Under-16 and Under-19 levels. Girls, however, are allowed play in two of these competitions – the Under-14 and Under-16. But they are barred from participating at the Under-19 levels due to what ISSA expressed as associated “dangers”. TAYLOR A BENEFICIARY Meanwhile, Forbes, who pointed out that Taylor herself was a beneficiary of playing at the Under-14 and Under-16 levels, said his association would be open to supporting a feasibility study to ascertain whether schoolgirl cricket was viable. “It is the duty and responsibility of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), not ISSA, to do such a feasibility study to determine whether there are enough girls and schools available to participate,” he said. “ISSA acts on the interest of students wanting to play a sport, and, until there is evidence to suggest same, we can’t act. “If after their study and the JCA then comes to us and say we have identified girls in four or five schools who are interested, then it would be something that we would be willing to look into.” Taylor, in the aftermath of West Indies Women ICC World Twenty20 triumph last week, stated: “We need to go into the schools and try to get girls to come out. “I think we do have girls who are interested. It’s just that you don’t have anyone to push it.” – Jermaine Lannaman
Letterkenny Athletic Club had a strong showing in Dessie’s 10K road race last night, with five of the club’s runners finishing in the top ten. The race, which had 161 finishers, was won by City of Derry’s Noel Logan in 33:03, with Teresa McGloin of Finn Valley winning the women’s section in 36:11.The times and places of Letterkenny AC’s runners are as follows – Gavin Crawford (2nd in 35:06); Paul McGlinchey (3rd in 35:16), Kevin Ferry (4th in 35:36); Kieran Crawford (5th in 35:43); Barry Meehan (9th in 37:05); Padraig Friel (15th in 37:36); Aidan McKenna (19th in 38:07); Glen Duncan (36th in 38:30); Ciaran O’Donnell (40th in 39:44); Colly O’Donnell (46th in 39:53); Garvan McCloskey (54th in 41:12); Charlie O’Donnell (62nd in 42:04); Irene McFadden (74th in 42:54 and 1st over-35); Naoise Enright (98th in 45:54) and Fiona Wasson (143rd in 52:08). ATHLETICS: LETTERKENNY AC DO WELL IN DESSIE’S RUN was last modified: August 29th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Dessie’s RunLetterkenny AC
24 February 2015The Gauteng government has announced interventions to change the space and structure of the province’s economy to help address unemployment, poverty and inequality.Speaking during the State of the Province Address on Monday, Premier David Makhura said these interventions were spatial reconfiguration; township economy revitalisation; and investment in infrastructure that the provincial government would undertake in partnership with municipalities and the private sector.Gauteng City Region’s space and economy would be configured into five development corridors that would have distinct industries and different comparative advantages, Makhura said.These are:Central Development Corridor, which will anchored around the City of Johannesburg as the hub of finance, services, ICT and pharmaceutical industries;Eastern Development Corridor, which will be anchored around the economy of the Ekurhuleni Metro as the hub of manufacturing, logistics and transport industries;Northern Development Corridor, which will anchored around Tshwane as South Africa’s administrative capital city and the hub of the automotive sector, research, development, innovation and the knowledge-based economy;Western Corridor, which encompasses the economy of the West Rand district and the creation of new industries, new economic nodes and new cities; andSouthern Corridor, which encompasses the economy of the Sedibeng district and the creation of new industries, new economic nodes and new cities.Makhura said the provincial government would “mobilise” more than R10-billion in public and private investments in the regeneration of the Joburg CBD as the seat of the provincial government.The Premier said Gauteng would work with national government and the City of Joburg to ensure that the Central Corridor became the home of the proposed Brics regional development bank.A plan to revitalise the townships of Kliptown and Alexandra was also under discussion with government and the City as “the two townships are in a terrible and sorry state of disrepair”, Makhura said.TransformationMakhura also announced that 140 000 housing units would be built in the next five years in the area to help change human settlement patterns.Together with the private sector and the City of Johannesburg, there were plans to transform the spatial landscape of the Central Corridor, which include:Masingita City, an integrated commercial and industrial hub, is a R3- billion private investment that is expected to create 15 500 jobs during its construction, which will begin in March.Rietfontein. With an investment of R20-billion, this will be a complete mixed-use node with more than 8 000 proposed residential units, including commercial property, distribution and warehousing, retail and education facilities.Waterfall City, the largest city to be built in post-apartheid South Africa. The estimated investment during construction is R71-billion, with an estimated 100 000 jobs to be created by the project.The Modderfontein development will inject R84-billion into the economy of the Gauteng City Region and is expected to create 150 000 jobs over the next 20 years.AerotropolisTurning to the Eastern Development Corridor, Makhura said 29 industrial initiatives under the banner of the Aerotropolis would be undertaken to revitalise manufacturing, aviation, transport and logistics industries linked to OR Tambo International Airport.“This will dramatically transform the current industrial structure of the economy of Ekurhuleni,” Makhura told the legislature.Other projects in the corridor will be the Tambo Springs Inland Port Development, with an estimated R7.5-billion investment over five years.The first phase of the Bus Rapid Transit System in Ekurhuleni would be operational by March next year, Makhura said, and more than 100 000 housing units would be built in the area over the next five years.SA’s biggest convention centreMakhura said Gauteng would be working with Tshwane to develop the West Capital development project in the Northern Corridor. This will include a student village, sport incubatory centre, retail and commercial components, inner city housing and health facilities.The African Gateway in the heart of Centurion would be a partnership with the private sector and will comprise South Africa’s largest convention centre, an hotel, residential, commercial and additional office space.TshwaneThe City of Tshwane would be investing R525-million to establish a business process outsourcing park in Hammanskraal, Makhura said. “The park will offer on-site training, technical support and incubators for SMMEs. The project is expected to create more than 1 000 jobs during construction and more than 1 000 indirect jobs.”Working with the private sector, Tshwane would also continue to rolling out free wi-fi within the City. To date, R150-million had already been invested in this initiative.Makhura said more than 160 000 houses would be built in the area.Green economyThe economy of the Western Corridor would focus on green and blue economy initiatives, tourism, agro-processing and logistics, said Makhura.“Lanseria Airport and Maropeng World Heritage Site will be the main anchors of the new city and new economy of the West Rand,” he said.The corridor would be positioned as a hub of agriculture and agroprocessing, and a public-private partnership would see the development of aquaculture projects, such as the prawn farming facility, the premier said.He said more than 160 000 houses are to be built in the area.DiversificationMakhura said the economy of the Southern Corridor needed to move from an “over- reliance on the steel industry” to one that included tourism and entertainment, agro- processing and logistics management.Among the projects would be the development of the new Vaal River City (hydropolis), with a private sector investment of more than R4-billion.Over the next five years, more than 120 000 houses in Sedibeng will be built.“Also in this corridor, we will continue to support the Gauteng Highlands development, a mixed-use development comprising industrial and residential space. This is a R40-billion investment aimed at creating 25 000 direct and indirect jobs,” said Makhura.Source: SAnews.gov.za
Here’s the latest sneak peak Geocaching Challenges video. Geocaching Challenges are an innovative new way to experience and share location-based adventures around the world. Groundspeak is anticipating releasing Challenges on Geocaching.com later this week. Geocaching Challenges will also be available via free smartphone apps for the iPhone, Android and Windows Phone 7 platforms.Groundspeak is beginning by launching two types of Challenges: Action and Photo. The video above describes what an Photo Challenge is. Additional types of Challenges are slated to be added in the future.Geocaching.com Premium Members will be able to create Action and Photo Challenges.Check out this blog post for an animated video teaser about Challenges.Share with your Friends:More SharePrint RelatedGeocaching.com “Action” Challenges – A Sneak PeekAugust 15, 2011In “Community”Geocaching.com Teams Up with Tomb Raider®January 11, 2012In “Community”Groundspeak Weekly Mailer – December 28, 2011December 28, 2011In “Community”
View comments National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES MOST READ Wangs hoping for the best in hot playoff race Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next It was 22 years after Simpson’s trial for the 1994 murders of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman, became a television soap opera.Commentators harshly criticized Simpson and his lawyer for their performance at the parole hearing. CNN’s Jeffrey Toobin called it “an absolute disgrace.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars FILE – In this June 15, 1995 file photo, O.J. Simpson, left, grimaces as he tries on one of the leather gloves prosecutors say he wore the night his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were murdered in a Los Angeles courtroom. Simpson, the former football star, TV pitchman and now Nevada prison inmate, will have a lot going for him when he appears before state parole board members Thursday, July 20, 2017, seeking his release after more than eight years for an ill-fated bid to retrieve sports memorabilia. (AP Photo/Sam Mircovich, Pool, file)NEW YORK — Television networks returned to the scene of an old obsession Thursday with blanket coverage of O.J. Simpson’s parole hearing Nevada.The biggest broadcast networks, news networks and even ESPN and CNBC set aside regular programming for the odd spectacle that NBC’s Savannah Guthrie dubbed “the parole hearing of the century.”ADVERTISEMENT
Anamika Acharya, the live-in partner of Asian Games gold medallist Pinki Pramanik, submitted her recorded conversation (audio tape) with Avtar Singh, husband of former CPM MP Jyotirmoyee Sikdar, to police on Monday.Anamika claimed that she was pressurised by former national level athlete Singh to file rape charges against Pinki following a rift between the two over monetary transactions.”Avtar Singh told me that he would support me to reach out to the authorities to prove that Pinki is a male as he had hidden her actual gender identity. Now he is supporting Pinki so that the athlete cannot be proved otherwise,” Acharya told Mail Today on Tuesday. Anamika further alleged that she was forced to do what Avtar wanted.She submitted a CD at the Baguihati police station that contains a audio clip – her telephonic conversation with Avtar.”Avtar Singh and his wife are now supporting Pinki so that the land is not taken back by the government. They are concerned about the land allotted to Pinki and that is why they are trying to prove Pinki is a female which she is not. I will continue to fight against them,” Anamika said.The excerpts of the recorded conversation (submitted to the police) follow as:ANAMIKA: You know that he (Pinki) bought a Bolero.AVTAR: Oh, when?ANAMIKA: When they went to the bank to collect the money that you deposited.AVTAR: No, no they did not say anything. I do not know anything. I did not meet him.advertisementANAMIKA: Out of the Rs 10 lakh you gave, he bought a car for Rs 7 lakh and has Rs 3 lakh in cash.ANAMIKA: He went to the lawyer whom Shankar had brought hereAVTAR: O ya, that one… Yes.ANAMIKA: He told Pinki to go to the police and that he will send a notice to us saying that we are blackmailing him with his photo.AVTAR: It’s not blackmail. Pinky lied. He has played with everybody, managed a job by lying. He should be charged under Section 420.ANAMIKA: Pinki called me in the morning asking whether I am going to ask Avtar Singh. I asked him why should I go? I do not have any relation with anybody. Then Pinky said: ‘Whatever you want to do, you can do.’AVTAR: Whatever you want to do, do.ANAMIKA: But it should not cause any problem to you, right? Regarding your land or anything…AVTAR: What problem?…What land?…I do not have any land.ANAMIKA: The land you have taken from Pinky?AVTAR: No, no there is no land of mine. I am not related to this matter.ANAMIKA: You supported me for so long. But what solution have you got?AVTAR: But I had told Shankar to pay you Rs 6 lakhANAMIKA: But I did not receive any call.AVTAR: You should have waited till Wednesday.Meanwhile, state PWD minister Firad Hakim on Monday directed the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) CEO Vivek Bharadwaj to look into the files of Pinki, who was given a piece of land by the erstwhile Left Front government after she won a gold medal at the 2006 Asian Games.”The KMDA will probe how much land was given to Pinki and whether it was leased out or given on an ownership basis. I have also asked the agency to find out whether Pinki can use the land for commercial or residential purpose,” Hakim said. The state sports department is also probing into the land distribution matter to find out whether the former athlete got it under the state’s sports quota.