now browsing by tag
When many students left campus last week for spring break, first-year Master’s of Public Diplomacy students Justin Chapman, Jung-Hwa Kang and Amanda Lester headed to Washington, D.C. for a networking tour of America’s capital.The trip, which took place from March 14 to March 18, was entirely planned by the students.It was billed as a “roving conference” where the participants received advice, information and even job opportunities from senior practitioners of public diplomacy to share with their classmates.An MPD tradition over the last few years, faculty serve only the role of connecting participants with experts in D.C. they could potentially meet or sources of funding that may be available.In their time in the capital, the MPD students managed to make more than a dozen meetings with high-level officials from the Brookings Institution, the U.S. Department of State and many other organizations while also making time to meet with alumni of the graduate degree program currently living in D.C.Chapman said that meeting Capricia Marshall, a former U.S. chief of protocol and White House social secretary in the Clinton administration who is currently ambassador-in-residence at the Atlantic Council, was one of their most memorable experiences.“[Ambassador Marshall] told us to grab every opportunity that we can. If someone asks ‘Who can do this,’ say ‘I can,’ then figure out how to do it,” said Chapman, who is also the project fellow at the Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership and Policy. “Make yourself invaluable.”Marshall’s advice also stuck with Kang, who is still forming her nascent career goals.Kang said that it set her free from guilt, reinforced the mindset she had been carrying and inspired her to walk out of her comfort zone.“People often ask me what my plan is after completing the MPD program,” Kang said in an e-mail to the Daily Trojan. “They sometimes raise their eyebrows when I say that I am still exploring and figuring out my path, since I am learning a lot of new things in the MPD program.”The participants plan to share the information they collected in a report that will be internally distributed to students and faculty in the MPD program. The information will also be used to plan next year’s trip.Along with building a stronger network for graduate students, the trip also has the intent of attracting interest to USC and the public diplomacy program. The participants had the opportunity to talk about their academic experiences thus far.“We met with undergrads from Syracuse University who were interested in the program,” Chapman said. “The people we met with now have information and knowledge of the program and can recommend it to students.”This year’s trip, under the auspices of Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism Dean Ernest Wilson III and MPD Director Nicholas Cull, is one of many that seeks to provide public diplomacy students with opportunities for learning and future employment.“I see the trip as an important part of the transition to the workplace for students in the program, both because it exposes students to potential employers and because it reminds people in the field of the program and its work,” Cull said.According to Cull, past networking trips have been taken by MPD students to Vietnam, India, China, Indonesia and Brazil.But the participants swapped the excitement of an international location with a feeling of validation about their career goals.“This trip opened my eyes to everything that can be done with the skills I’m learning in the MPD program,” Lester said. “Besides receiving helpful career advice at our meetings, it was inspiring to talk to people who are doing public diplomacy every day, facing its challenges, believing in its promise and still searching for answers to the field’s biggest questions.”
The NHL is heading overseas for the third straight season.The league announced the Global Series schedule for the 2019-20 season Thursday, with the Blackhawks and Flyers slated to play their regular-season opener Oct. 4 in Prague, Czech Republic. The 2019 #NHLGlobalSeries will feature the @NHLBlackhawks, @NHLFlyers, @BuffaloSabres, and @TBLightning!🇩🇪Berlin: Blackhawks v. @Eisbaeren_B – Sept 29🇨🇭Lausanne: Flyers v. @lausannehc – Sept 30🇨🇿Prague: Blackhawks v. Flyers – Oct 4🇸🇪Sabres v. Lightning – Nov 8-9 pic.twitter.com/6AX1AmYJyb— NHL (@NHL) March 21, 2019The contest marks a homecoming for Czech Republic natives Jakub Voracek and Radko Gudas of the Flyers and David Kampf of the Blackhawks.Before the matchup, the Blackhawks will wrap up training camp in Germany and play Eisbären Berlin in an exhibition game Sept. 29, while the Flyers will finish training camp in Switzerland and play Lausanne HC in an exhibition game Sept. 30. The #Flyers are headed to Europe in the fall for the #NHLGlobalSeries! 🇨🇭🇨🇿Details: https://t.co/BNQHmOk65j pic.twitter.com/kUrc3LBJ9N— Philadelphia Flyers (@NHLFlyers) March 21, 2019It’s official: We’re heading to Europe this fall to take part in the #NHLGlobalSeries!Sept. 29 in Berlin: #Blackhawks vs. @Eisbaeren_BOct 4 in Prague: #Blackhawks vs. Flyers pic.twitter.com/C89yFa3s3S— Chicago Blackhawks (@NHLBlackhawks) March 21, 2019The following month, the Sabres and Lightning will play a pair of games Nov. 8 and Nov. 9 in Stockholm, Sweden. The game will give star defenders Victor Hedman of the Lightning and Rasmus Dahlin of the Sabres a chance to put on a show for their home country.Sverige, är ni redo? Vi ses snart.Book it! We’re heading to Stockholm in November to take on the @buffalosabres in the 2019 #NHLGlobalSeries! ⚡️🇸🇪📝: https://t.co/lRL94FHnlz pic.twitter.com/LXM3xh2OBl— p – Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) March 21, 2019Book your flights. We’re headed to Sweden!We will take on the @TBLightning in the 2019 #NHLGlobalSeries. 🇸🇪: https://t.co/tILHfLApc5 pic.twitter.com/tnthBoILo5— Buffalo Sabres (@BuffaloSabres) March 21, 2019Meanwhile, the 2018-19 season is ramping up for the Stanley Cup playoffs, which begins April 10.
Floor Care TechnicianFull Time position, hours are 5:00 am to 1:30 pm with some weekends holidays required. Duties include scrubbing and extracting carpets, waxing floors in halls, lobbies and offices and cleaning rooms as needed. Experience preferred. Pay is based on experience. Full benefits package is offered with this position. Please apply in person at Sumner Regional Medical Center, Human Resources, 1323 North A, Wellington, KS. SRMC is an EOE/Drug and Tobacco-Free Employer.
FREEHOLD – The Monmouth County Department of Consumer Affairs wants every county resident to be aware of “smishing,” the latest attempt to steal information from unsuspecting cellphone users.“As we rely on technology and our cellphones more, thousands of people are using the same technology to target and take advantage of cellphone users,” said Freeholder Lillian G. Burry, liaison to the department. “Residents need to be aware of new attempts to commit fraud and identity theft.”Smishing is similar to the email technique “phishing,” except that it takes information from cellphones. It looks legitimate, but tricks victims into submitting their information, which is then used to steal identities. The term refers to the abbreviation for text messaging, SMS or Short Message Service. Smishing is sometimes referred to as “vishing.”Typically, a criminal begins by setting up an automated dialing system to text or call people in particular area codes or regions. Sometimes, they will use customer phone numbers that were stolen from banks or credit unions.After collecting your information, the criminal can drain bank accounts, steal identities, charge items with the credit card numbers or set up more accounts that only the criminal can access.Consumers are already aware of phishing emails, such as the Nigerian prince asking for money or winning money from the Canadian Mounted Police and other lottery schemes. Because consumers feel safe using cellphones, they are at an even greater risk of falling prey to smishing. Most of the messages cause a sense of alarm, using trigger words such as problems with bank or credit cards that people are more likely to click or call without thinking it is a scam.“Be vigilant,” said Annmarie Howley, director of the Monmouth County Department of Consumer Affairs. “Identity theft rates continue to rise at an alarming rate, and consumers must be aware of new scams. Smishing scam artists are very difficult to track, because they often operate in foreign countries. This means consumers must hesitate to click on links and call numbers they have never seen before.”If you get a text alert or email about a bank account or some other account, do not respond before you verify that it is a legitimate text alert. Keep the phone number to your bank or credit card agency in your phone’s list of contacts. That way you can easily verify that the number in the text message is the correct number and not a scam.
RUMSON – Looking for a place to celebrate Purim, the happiest of all Jewish holidays? Grab the kids and grandkids and head to the Purim Carnival at Congregation B’nai Israel (CBI).The annual fundraiser will be held 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 24, and will include games, inflatable rides, food, prizes and gift auction. There also will be a magic show for little children.The carnival is open to the public. General admission is free. The synagogue is located at 171 Ridge Road at the corner of Hance Road.Purim, a festival recorded in the biblical Book of Esther, commemorates the deliverance of the Jewish peopleliving in the ancient Persian Empire from a plot by Haman, an evil ruler, to destroy them.Purim is characterized by public recitation of the Book of Esther, giving mutual gifts of food and drink, giving charity to the poor and a celebratory meal. Other customs include the wearing of masks and costumes.Additional information about the Purim Carnival, is available by contacting Susan Alderson, CBI youth director, at [email protected] information about religious services associated with Purim is available by contacting Henry Silberman, administrator, at 732-842-1800.Founded in 1922, Congregation B’nai Israel is one of the oldest and largest synagogues in the Two River area.
CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Cayetano: 4 social media groups behind SEA Games ‘sabotage’ QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Magsayo keeps int’l feather crown View comments Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC “You can see we came here to do what we had to do, so credit to the players who never gave up,” said Global Cebu coach Akbar Nawas.Former National U star Paolo Salenga sent the game to extra time by heading home a free kick from Pika Minegishi in the 109th minute, after Kento Nagasaki put Albirex ahead, 2-1, in the 96th minute.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutGlobal defender Wesley Dos Santos also scored off a Minegishi free kick in the first half to cancel out Tsubasa Sano’s opener.But it was Albirex which held its nerve in the shootout with Global missing the first two attempts from Dos Santos and Daruy Roberts, while Albirex converted one out of two —with Sano missing after Nagasaki converted. Global Cebu’s historic run in the RHB Singapore Cup 2017 came to a heartbreaking end on Saturday after the Philippine club bowed to Albirex Niigata in a penalty shootout at Jalan Besar Stadium.The Filipinos equalized twice to send the game to a shootout only to falter, 1-3, as the Japanese-flavored side playing in the Singapore League wrested the crown for the second straight season.ADVERTISEMENT Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Albirex scored two more from the spot, before Salenga’s effort was parried away for the final count.Global is the first Filipino team to reach the final of the event—CEDELF P. TUPAS Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Read Next Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City MOST READ
Sixteen celebrities from the world of sport, music, dance, design, art, stage and TV have come together to support the TigerTime campaign’s 2016 Stars & Stripes celebrity art auction.Sporty Spice, Melanie Chisholm, who visited India to see her first wild tigers with TigerTime last year, has joined the supporting artists along with Strictly Come Dancing’s Oti Mabuse and Princess Diana’s wedding dress designer, Elizabeth Emanuel.“Although there are some seriously lovely works among the auction items this annual event is more about raising awareness and funds to protect wild tigers. We’re hugely grateful to everyone who gives their time so generously and to those who bid,” says TigerTime manager, Vicky Flynn.Proceeds from previous auctions has helped fund critical tiger conservation, education, community outreach and anti-poaching work in India, Russia and Thailand.All the works will be on show at the Mall Galleries, London SW1 from Tuesday 28 June to Saturday 2 July. Bids can be made at the gallery or online – bidding closes at 4pm (GMT) on Monday 4 July. Bids can be emailed to: [email protected] Participating this year are: Alan Titchmarsh MBE, Ayden Callaghan, Brian Blessed OBE, Chris Marsh (actor), Elizabeth Emanuel, Emily Lamb (artist), Emre Erturk (NY based fashion designer), Francis Rossi, Joanna Lumley OBE, Jody Craddock (ex Wolves FC turned artist), Lynn Shepherd (author) Melanie Chisholm, Oti Mabuse (Strictly Come Dancing), Peter Egan, Richard Symonds (artist) and Sarah Jane HoneywellYou can view the full catalogue and find out more here
TORONTO – The Bank of Canada’s senior deputy governor is calling for authorities to work toward a coherent set of globally aligned policies governing cryptocurrencies.Carolyn Wilkins told a University of Toronto conference on Thursday that such a strategy will need to cover risks in both cash and derivatives products, as well as the related ecosystems.Wilkins referred to cryptocurrencies as “crypto assets,” rather than currencies because “they do not perform any of the key functions of money.”“While activity might be too small right now to be systemic, at some point they could have implications for financial stability,” she told the audience at the Rotman School of Management.“The crypto world is moving fast, and is largely unchecked.”In a speech that was largely focused on lessons learned from the global financial crisis, Wilkins said that risk raises concerns about investor protection, market integrity and the use of crypto assets in illegal activities.She also said during a question and answer session after her speech that it was important to have a strategy on crypto assets that is as consistent as possible across countries. The different forms of crypto assets, such as tokens, should be put on a “level playing field” with other ways of raising money, she added.Her comments come after the central bank governor raised concerns earlier this year about cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin. Stephen Poloz in January said Bitcoin was more akin to gambling than investing.If a digital currency would be to be widely adopted in the future, that would present major challenges for the central bank to execute monetary policy, she said.“Whether we do it or someone else does it, at some point digital is going catch on,” she said.“And the only way to understand it in my view is get in early on the ground level and work with the technology, and the entrepreneurs and the industry who are also working on it.”
O’Riley acknowledges in the letter that schedule and safety concerns impacted the overall health of the construction of Site C. “For these reasons we classified the overall health of the project for this quarter as “red”, or having serious concerns,” O’Riley wrote.“As noted above, we have worked hard over the past several months to improve our performance in these areas and since the reporting period, the overall health of the project has significantly improved and is now classified as “yellow,” or having some concerns.”O’Riley says that last month, BC Hydro reached a memorandum of understanding with Peace River Hydro Partners, the dam’s main civil works contractor, at a cost of $325 million.He says that the MOU includes a contractual schedule that achieves the diversion of the Peace River in 2020, which will keep the project on track to meeting the 2024 project in-service date.Also included in the memorandum are plans to accelerate a number of critical construction activities and purchasing some additional key equipment, with numerous incentive payments for PRHP if and when they meet critical project milestones.Finally, the agreement includes a settlement of past issues that O’Riley described in his letter to the Commission on October 4th, 2017. He said that Hydro has developed a plan to improve safety at the dam’s construction site, including implementing a senior-level safety steering committee with all prime contractors to address shared safety issues, hiring a permanent senior field safety manager, and regularly holding on-site safety conferences.“The contractors have confirmed their commitment to safety as well and developed plans to improve their performance,” O’Riley added.The full letter can be read here: https://www.bchydro.com/content/dam/BCHydro/customer-portal/documents/corporate/media/site-c-quarterly-report-11.pdf VANCOUVER, B.C. – BC Hydro President and Chief Operating Officer Chris O’Riley says in a letter to the B.C. Utilities Commission that after a number of issues and setbacks to the dam’s construction, the Site C project is back on track to be completed on-time and on-budget.In his letter to Commission Secretary and Manager Patrick Wruck, O’Riley also follows up on his letter to the Commission last October, when he said that the Crown Corporation was going to miss its deadline to divert the Peace River in September 2019 because of geotechnical issues.News of the letter was first reported by Vancouver Sun columnist Vaughn Palmer late Wednesday. O’Riley explained that the $325 million settlement will be paid from the contingency fund of the dam’s main civil works budget, which he said will have no impact on the overall project budget.“The final contractual agreement between BC Hydro and the main civil works contractor is expected to be complete later this month,” he added.O’Riley also says in his letter that the Crown Corporation has also taken action to address safety concerns on the jobsite at Site C.“During the reporting period there were two lost time injuries, six medical attention treatment injuries and five near-misses – an increase from the previous quarter,” said O’Riley.