now browsing by tag
CLASSY three-year-old colt BUZZ NIGHTMARE seeks his fourth consecutive win, in the opening race over 1000 metres (round) for overnight allowance horses at Caymanas Park today, and should have little difficulty in putting away his six opponents. Trained by 14-time champion Philip Feanny for owners Paul Hoo and Herbie Chong, the fleet-footed BUZZ NIGHTMARE, with Paul ‘Country ‘ Francis in the saddle, is prepping for the 27th running of the Glen Mills Caribbean Sprint Championship over 1200 metres on ‘Superday’, November 14, and having moved impressively at exercise – galloping five furlongs in 1:00.3 on October 26 – should use this as a stepping stone to much bigger things. Unraced as a two-year-old, the bay colt by Into Mischief out of Queen of Battle has won four of his five races to date, his only blemish coming in the Prince Consort Guineas Trial on March 22, when finishing fifth to fast-time winner SEMPRE FIDELIS over 1400 metres. Since then ‘BUZZ’ has won his three races over sprints in fast times, returning splits of 22.3, 46.0 in winning by 10 lengths over 1100 metres on July 18. He should prove the worst nightmare for his opponents, including recent winner BORDER LINE, who seems best equipped to follow him home. Another horse expected to extend his winning streak is bang-in-form FORCE DE JOUR, who bids for his sixth consecutive win in the ninth race over 1100 metres for $550000-$500,000 claimers. The 4-y-o gelding, who now takes orders from veteran trainer Robert Darby Sr, having beaten SUNLIGHT EXPRESS over the straight recently, is fit as ever and with Darby calling up promising 4.0kg claiming apprentice Bebeto Harvey, reducing the weight to 53.0kg, the speedy FORCE DE JOUR ought to be followed in a field of 11. I also like SIR BIGGS to go one better in the third race over 1820 metres, the well-forward 2-y-o debutante RALLY BABY in the fifth, TECHNOCAT in the sixth and FRANKENSTORM in the seventh over the straight.
AN POST have introduced a new computer system and added extra staff to slash queues at Letterkenny post office.The move follows a petition signed by more than 1,000 people calling for satelite post offices in the town.But the Communications Workers Union says it is convinced any new post offices in the town will only lead to job losses at the head post office on the town’s Main Street. Well-known local union representative Charlie Kelly from Glenswilly said last night the CWU is totally against new postal services in Letterkenny.“The opening of a Sub Office anywhere in the town is privatisation and would lead to the loss of jobs at the Head Post Office on Main Street,” he said.He added the long queues experienced recently as a result of increased welfare payments and the economic situation initiated the call for a sub office.But he said this was a situation which was being addressed for some time now. “The Union and the Company have been in negotiations for sometime regarding this. The Company has installed a new computer and opened another position during peak business hours.“This has improved the queuing during the past week. Talks are ongoing between the Union and the Company,” he said.EndsQUEUES SLASHED AT LETTERKENNY POST OFFICE AS UNIONS DISMISS IDEA OF MORE OUTLETS IN TOWN was last modified: February 22nd, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Underwood took a medical leave of absence in late October and designated Debra C. Man as acting CEO and general manager. She will continue in that role while the MWD board considers Underwood’s successor, the district said. Underwood is survived by his wife, Carmen; daughter and son-in-law Michelle and Ryan Dejournett of California; five brothers, Russell and Lawrence of Massachusetts, Rory of Vermont, Kevin of Maine, and Jeffrey of New Hampshire; and two grandsons. Funeral arrangements were incomplete, Muir said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “That meant that every cause and every project he was involved in was tempered by clear, well-negotiated and respectful interaction with everyone on both sides of the table.” Underwood became the district’s general manager and chief executive officer after playing a key role in a crucial effort regarding California’s share of Colorado River supplies as well as negotiating one of the nation’s largest habitat-conservation programs. The program covered 27 species along more than 450 miles of the lower Colorado. The 50-year program protects the storage, release and diversion of Colorado River water from Lake Mead to the Mexico border from interruptions because of endangered species issues. “As a former commissioner of Interior’s Bureau of Reclamation and a major architect of the Lower Colorado River Multispecies Conservation Plan, Dennis was a creative and dynamic force in improving the management of Western water and promoting environmental protection and enhancement,” Interior Secretary Gale Norton said in a statement. Bannister said the Metropolitan Water District would have to “work hard to maintain the spirit of his career and to honor him by moving forward thoughtfully and with purpose, being mindful of our role as a steward for the public and the environment.” RANCHO CUCAMONGA – Dennis B. Underwood, a Western water expert and former U.S. Bureau of Reclamation commissioner who this year took over as general manager of the giant Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, has died. He was 60. Underwood, who was selected in April to lead the water district, died Wednesday at his Alta Loma home after a battle with cancer, MWD spokesman Bob Muir said Thursday. The Metropolitan Water District is a cooperative of 26 cities and water agencies serving 18 million people in six Southern California counties. It imports water from the Colorado River and Northern California to supplement local supplies. “The water world has lost one of its most accomplished and humble leaders,” district board Chairman Wes Bannister said in a statement. “The underlying theme of Dennis’ entire career was to balance needs with grace.