now browsing by tag
Almost a month after three market vendors were remanded for breaking and entering the L. Seepersaud Maraj & Sons Jewellery Store in the Stabroek Market and stealing $22 million worth of gold and diamond jewellery, they were successful in petitioning the court to be placed on bail; and Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan has placed each accused on $1.5 million bail.The accused: Tyron Marks, 31, of Lot 107 Eccles, East Bank Demerara; Clifford Rodney, 66, of Lot 265 One Mile, Linden; and Albert De Freitas, 54, of Leopold Street, Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown, were remanded when they had made their first appearance before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.According to the prosecution’s case, between July 2 and July 3, 2018, the men broke and entered the jewellery store located in the Stabroek Market.The men were represented by defence attorneys Pamela De Santos, Kezia Williams and Adrian Thompson respectively. These defence attorneys, in their bail applications, each informed the court that their clients were beaten by Police to confess to the theft.Police Prosecutor Neville Jeffers had objected to the men being placed on bail, and had informed the court that the men have pending matters of a similar nature before the courts, while citing the serious nature of the offence and the value of the items.The court was told that during a video interrogation with investigators, two of the men admitted to cutting into the store’s safe to gain access to the items.Reports are that on July 3, 2018, when the owners and employees of the jewellery store arrived at the Market, they realised the store had been robbed. Upon checking, they discovered the entire store ransacked, and the vault torched open.In a press statement, the owners had said the robbery was the work of “highly-skilled thieves.”According to the owners, they had consulted with several security specialists and others trained in ironwork and welding, and were informed that it would have taken no less than five hours for the vaults to be cut open. It was further revealed that the owners had spoken to two City Constables, who claimed that checks were done earlier in the Market, but nothing was discovered.Additionally, the stall was secured with an alarm system that was being monitored by the MMC Security Force.Meanwhile, Crime Chief Paul Williams headed to the scene a team that was able to collect fingerprints from one of the heavy-duty safes in which the jewellery was secured.Meanwhile, the robbery has yet again raised concerns about security at the market.Only recently, the City Constabulary named Stabroek and Bourda markets as popular criminal hotspots where consumers are attacked and robbed on a daily basis. These offences are suspected to be gang-related.Chief Constable Andrew Foo has stated that the Markets have been on their radar for quite a while now in light of the increase in criminal activities there.Foo explained that at the Stabroek Market, since it is a transportation hub, persons entering and leaving public transportation are the main targets. With respect to Bourda Market, most of the incidents occur among vendors and shoppers in the rush hours, when sales are at a peak.
LOS ANGELES – Ernie Els, Retief Goosen and Sergio Garcia are among international players making their first PGA Tour start of 2007 at the Nissan Open, and it’s no coincidence that Riviera has the deepest field on tour this year. Even without Tiger Woods. “Over here, we play for a lot of money,” Els said Wednesday. “So that draws a lot more players to come and play the U.S. tour. It means that the depth of the field becomes a lot stronger than anywhere else in the world. And subsequently, you have a stronger tour. But you’ve got a much broader base of players from around the world.” The Nissan Open starts today with Rory Sabbatini – a South African – as the defending champion. The tournament boasts 11 of the top 13 players in the world, and all but two of them (Furyk and Mickelson) carry passports. Els, Goosen, Garcia and Paul Casey have been playing in the desert, but it was in Qatar, Dubai or Abu Dhabi, not Phoenix or Palm Springs. It’s quite a turnaround from when the world rankings first were introduced two decades ago. The top three players were European (Bernhard Langer, Seve Ballesteros and Sandy Lyle), but there were 31 Americans among the top 50. It’s now top-heavy with Americans, but there are only 13 others in the top 50. “The golf world has changed its face a little bit,” England’s David Howell said. “The U.S. tour, pretty much most weeks there are more international players than U.S. players, which obviously would have been unheard of 10, 15 years ago. I would imagine that’s good for golf.” His numbers were slightly off. The Americans still have a 2-to-1 advantage at Riviera in the 144-man field. Then again, the numbers favor international players in other ways. They have won the Nissan Open the last four years, and six times in the last 10 years. Adam Scott’s victory wasn’t official in 2005 because it was only 36 holes (plus a playoff) because of rain. Weather shouldn’t be a problem this year. The forecast called for mostly sunshine this week, and players already can tell the difference. Not only are the greens firm and quick, but the rough isn’t quite as deep as it has been in recent years. “Hopefully, the conditions stay as they are because the course is a lot firmer and faster than we’ve seen it in the past,” Scott said. “I think that’s going to really require some shotmaking this week. I’m excited about that.” Aside from Woods, the only player missing from the top 10 is Dubai Desert Classic winner Henrik Stenson of Sweden. Els was asked if Woods’ absence changes the outlook. “Yes, absolutely,” he said. “I mean, whenever Tiger plays, he basically shows up with his game, and he is basically effective. So yes, it changes a little bit.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The last few years has brought an unstoppable shift in the world of golf, and now a majority of the top players in the world rankings come from abroad. Sure, Woods and Jim Furyk give the Americans a 1-2 punch at the top, and the way Phil Mickelson won at Pebble Beach last week, it might not be long before he makes it a threesome. For the rest of the field, however, golf has gone global.
THREE men have pleaded guilty to charges relating to a notorious brawl outside an Inishowen pub in 2010.All three appeared before Letterkenny Circuit Court where a trial was due to begin yesterday.Gardai carried huge boxes of evidence into the court room in anticipation of a jury trial. However Judge Rory MacCabe was told the men would each plead guilty to charges of assault.On Easter Monday, April 6, 2010 Gardai were called to the Orchard Bar in the village of Gleneely to deal with a brawl outside the premises. During the incident it was alleged a gun was produced, although it was not fired.Three local men appeared in court in connection with the events in the early hours of the morning of that incident, although not linked to the gun incident.Chris Duffy and Gary Duffy, both of Disternan, Gleneely, each pleaded guilty to one count of assault causing harm.John Joe McLaughlin, Disternan, Gleneely, also pleaded guilty to one count of assault causing harm.Prosecuting counsel Patricia McLaughlin said the guilty pleas were being accepted on condition that full facts surrounding the incident would be given at a sentencing hearing.Judge Rory MacCabe adjourned the sentencing to July 16th to allow for probation service reports.THREE MEN PLEAD GUILTY TO CHARGES RELATING TO BRAWL OUTSIDE INISHOWEN PUB was last modified: February 6th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:THREE MEN PLEAD GUILTY TO CHARGES RELATING TO INISHOWEN PUB BRAWL