• Slide Image 1 Title | Welcome to D5 Smartia Theme, Visit D5 Creation for Details

    You can use D5 Smartia for Black and White looking Smart Blogging, Personal or Corporate Websites. This is a Sample Description and you can change these from Samrtia Options
  • Slide Image 2 Title | Welcome to D5 Smartia Theme, Visit D5 Creation for Details

    You can use D5 Smartia for Black and White looking Smart Blogging, Personal or Corporate Websites. This is a Sample Description and you can change these from Samrtia Options
  • Slide Image 3 Title | Welcome to D5 Smartia Theme, Visit D5 Creation for Details

    You can use D5 Smartia for Black and White looking Smart Blogging, Personal or Corporate Websites. This is a Sample Description and you can change these from Samrtia Options

上海夜网论坛EJ

now browsing by tag

 
 
Posted by: | Posted on: January 20, 2020

ISSA plays down Taylor’s call for schoolgirl cricket

first_imgCompetitions Officer of the Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA) George Forbes says that while the idea is noble, it is currently not feasible for female cricket to be played at the local high-school level. This follows calls made by West Indies Women captain Stafanie Taylor. This, he says, is as a result of the current lack of interest by high school girls to play the sport, as well as funding, which, he says, will be key if the situation is to be changed. “It’s not feasible for us to play a girl cricket competition, as currently there are few girls and schools who have expressed an interest in playing,” stated Forbes. “In fact, I don’t know any school that has more than two or three girls who are interested in playing cricket. “Then there is the matter of funding. We don’t even have enough money to play age-group cricket for our boys, much less to take on schoolgirls cricket at the moment,” he added. ISSA currently stages cricket competitions for high school boys at the Under-14, Under-16 and Under-19 levels. Girls, however, are allowed play in two of these competitions – the Under-14 and Under-16. But they are barred from participating at the Under-19 levels due to what ISSA expressed as associated “dangers”. TAYLOR A BENEFICIARY Meanwhile, Forbes, who pointed out that Taylor herself was a beneficiary of playing at the Under-14 and Under-16 levels, said his association would be open to supporting a feasibility study to ascertain whether schoolgirl cricket was viable. “It is the duty and responsibility of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), not ISSA, to do such a feasibility study to determine whether there are enough girls and schools available to participate,” he said. “ISSA acts on the interest of students wanting to play a sport, and, until there is evidence to suggest same, we can’t act. “If after their study and the JCA then comes to us and say we have identified girls in four or five schools who are interested, then it would be something that we would be willing to look into.” Taylor, in the aftermath of West Indies Women ICC World Twenty20 triumph last week, stated: “We need to go into the schools and try to get girls to come out. “I think we do have girls who are interested. It’s just that you don’t have anyone to push it.” – Jermaine Lannamanlast_img read more

Posted by: | Posted on: January 12, 2020

Accused bandits each released on $1.5M bail

first_imgAlmost a month after three market vendors were remanded for breaking and entering the L. Seepersaud Maraj & Sons Jewellery Store in the Stabroek Market and stealing $22 million worth of gold and diamond jewellery, they were successful in petitioning the court to be placed on bail; and Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan has placed each accused on $1.5 million bail.The accused: Tyron Marks, 31, of Lot 107 Eccles, East Bank Demerara; Clifford Rodney, 66, of Lot 265 One Mile, Linden; and Albert De Freitas, 54, of Leopold Street, Werk-en-Rust, Georgetown, were remanded when they had made their first appearance before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.According to the prosecution’s case, between July 2 and July 3, 2018, the men broke and entered the jewellery store located in the Stabroek Market.The men were represented by defence attorneys Pamela De Santos, Kezia Williams and Adrian Thompson respectively. These defence attorneys, in their bail applications, each informed the court that their clients were beaten by Police to confess to the theft.Police Prosecutor Neville Jeffers had objected to the men being placed on bail, and had informed the court that the men have pending matters of a similar nature before the courts, while citing the serious nature of the offence and the value of the items.The court was told that during a video interrogation with investigators, two of the men admitted to cutting into the store’s safe to gain access to the items.Reports are that on July 3, 2018, when the owners and employees of the jewellery store arrived at the Market, they realised the store had been robbed. Upon checking, they discovered the entire store ransacked, and the vault torched open.In a press statement, the owners had said the robbery was the work of “highly-skilled thieves.”According to the owners, they had consulted with several security specialists and others trained in ironwork and welding, and were informed that it would have taken no less than five hours for the vaults to be cut open. It was further revealed that the owners had spoken to two City Constables, who claimed that checks were done earlier in the Market, but nothing was discovered.Additionally, the stall was secured with an alarm system that was being monitored by the MMC Security Force.Meanwhile, Crime Chief Paul Williams headed to the scene a team that was able to collect fingerprints from one of the heavy-duty safes in which the jewellery was secured.Meanwhile, the robbery has yet again raised concerns about security at the market.Only recently, the City Constabulary named Stabroek and Bourda markets as popular criminal hotspots where consumers are attacked and robbed on a daily basis. These offences are suspected to be gang-related.Chief Constable Andrew Foo has stated that the Markets have been on their radar for quite a while now in light of the increase in criminal activities there.Foo explained that at the Stabroek Market, since it is a transportation hub, persons entering and leaving public transportation are the main targets. With respect to Bourda Market, most of the incidents occur among vendors and shoppers in the rush hours, when sales are at a peak.last_img read more

Posted by: | Posted on: December 25, 2019

€300,000 NEEDED TO KEEP ICONIC DONEGAL CHURCH OPEN

first_imgAlmost €300,000 is need to provide emergency repairs for one of Donegal’s most iconic churches.St Aengus’ Church, Burt, designed by the late and widely renowned Liam Mc Cormack, is arguably one of Inishowen’s most iconic landmarks.Built in 1969, it has successfully endeared itself to the people of the parish of Burt, Inch and Fahan, and indeed to many beyond. Countless busloads of international visitors, on their way to the round fort at Grianan of Aileach, which provided the inspiration for Burt Chapel’s circular construction, stop off to marvel at Ireland’s building of the millennium, an accolade of which local parishioners are rightly proud.As a place of worship, and indeed as a local tourist attraction, Burt Chapel is held in the highest possible esteem by locals and visitors alike.It is for this reason that a committee of dedicated volunteers has been established to raise funds for essential remedial works which must urgently be carried out in order to protect this heritage landmark as it journeys into the third millennium.Part of the building has become tired and water has begun to seep through the stone façade and windows. Areas of the interior are so badly affected, they are rendered entirely unusable. The cost of repairing this and a number of other serious structural problems is in the region of €300,000. The Fundraising Committee, comprising people from throughout the parish and chaired by Fr. Gerry Sweeney, is currently engaged in organising a parish draw which will begin this month.This draw is limited to 500 people and entry costs 20 euro per calendar month. On the last Tuesday of each month a draw will take place in St. Mary’s hall, Burt with a first, second and third prize of €1000, €500 and €250 euro.The draw will remain in place for a period of three years and should yield the vast majority of the required funds. A dedicated bank account has been opened in AIB , Buncrana.The Committee is very aware of the financially straitened times in which we are now living and would like to assure prospective participants in the draw that every effort will be made to ensure that maximum value for money is achieved in the discharging of monies raised.While the raising of these funds is indeed a mammoth undertaking for a voluntary committee, it is no greater than the generosity of our local parishioners, nor of the regard in which Burt Chapel is held. Other fundraising events will be held over the three year period and details of these will appear in the parish bulletin, as will details of the progress of the fundraising campaign. Anyone who would like to help, either by acting as a draw promoter or by assisting with any other aspect of fundraising, is asked to contact Fr. Sweeney. It is not too late to sign up for the draw but only a few places remain; anyone who would like to take part is asked to contact Fr. Sweeney on 074 9368155€300,000 NEEDED TO KEEP ICONIC DONEGAL CHURCH OPEN was last modified: February 4th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BURTrestoration fundSt Aengus’ Churchlast_img read more