now browsing by tag
Because the Capitol Building, which is undergoing renovation, is by law the venue for the presidential inauguration ceremony, the legislature was forced to legalize SKD Sports Complex as the venue for this historic instance.Upon hearing its name, many Liberians are at once reminded of inspiring and horrible moments. But of course, despite those good and bad moments, the memories of the Samuel Kanyon Doe (SKD) Sports Complex will never fade away.Built in 1986, the SKD sports complex continues to record moments that will go down in history. Some of these historical moments date back to the 80’s during the regime of the man the facility was named after, former President Samuel K. Doe.Ironically, as some sort of twisted fate, the stadium was actually commissioned by President William Tolbert, who the then Master Sergeant Doe fatally removed in a 1980 coup d’état. Eventually, the sports complex became the home of the national team, the Lone Star, and a place of attraction, where thousands of Liberians could not afford to miss the home games of the national team during probably its most memorable performing days.Although Liberia was later hit by civil unrests, the facility became a unifier. Warring factions laid down their arms to assemble at the stadium to watch their national team play, which lessened as the war intensified. Nevertheless, at the height of the war, the stadium became an area of protection where thousands sought refuge as there was nowhere safe to seek shelter. Thanks to Providence, those bad old days have been firmly relegated to the past, where it is hoped they would stay.It was also at the SKD that most of the country got to witness the skills of our most talented footballers, including no less than our new President, George Manneh Weah, and his cohorts.Arguably, the most memorable moment so far must be Monday’s hosting of the inaugural ceremony of Liberia’s 24th president, George Weah.The national legislature on January 19 adopted and signed a Joint Resolution to change the venue and city of the 2018 Inauguration from the Capitol Building in Monrovia to the Samuel K. Doe Sports Complex in Paynesville – the first time this has ever happened.Moreover, this occasion reminded the newly elected president of his personal adventures against other national teams.“The Samuel Kanyon Doe Sports Complex, renovated by the Chinese, where this inaugural ceremony is being held, is where I gained my exposure to the football world. It does not only stand as a monument of Chinese friendship toward Liberians, but it also stands as a symbol of peace and reconciliation for the Liberian people,” Weah said in his inaugural speech.“Today we stand at this venue united for one purpose: Liberia. This is the time that we put away our political differences to work together in forging a new Liberia, where the affordability of all goods and services will no longer be a luxury of the privileged, but rather a right for all Liberians.”Not only will this venue be remembered by President Weah for its part in his march to his ascendancy of the nation’s highest position, it will also be remembered by the thousands of Liberians who fought their way through its gates to witness an inaugural ceremony for all times – the first and historic democratic transition of power from one democratically elected president to another since 1944.SKD will always remain ‘A Stadium of Memories.’Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
HALIFAX – An ejected Tory candidate says she is looking into continuing her bid for public office, as she traded fresh barbs with the party’s leader about whether she faced a double standard when she was dropped because of online comments.Leader Jamie Baillie insisted Wednesday there was no double standard in dropping Jad Crnogorac in Dartmouth South while standing by a male Tory candidate who jokingly acted out what he called a “Chinese fire drill” in an online video.Questioned at a campaign stop in Halifax, Baillie said Crnogorac’s postings crossed the line and she could not remain on the ballot.Crnogorac had posted a joke on Twitter about a date-rape drug known as “roofies,” and also tweeted that white people not winning Black Entertainment Television awards was an example of “inequality.”Baillie maintained that the case differed from one involving Matt Whitman, a Tory candidate who faced criticism over a YouTube video condemned for racial stereotyping and insensitivity to Chinese people. Baillie said Whitman apologized and had no intent to hurt anyone, whereas Crnogorac had “numerous other posts that were close to the line if not over.”“Making fun of a date rape drug is not funny under any explanation,” he said. “I think you’re comparing apples and oranges and a line has to be drawn and I drew one that I stand beside.”In an email Wednesday night, Crnogorac said she is running as an independent and is waiting to hear back from Elections N.S. on the process.“I have had over whelming support from friends family and total strangers all over social media,” she said. “And (I) decided my name is on the ticket and I’m not a quitter.”Crnogorac has said the party jettisoned her without allowing her to explain what the tweets said and the context in which they were made. She said she was asked to step down, but refused and accused Baillie of employing a double standard when it came to her and Whitman.“So Matt Whitman can have a racist comment and drive illegally and film himself and you guys stand by his side and defend him?” Crnogorac said she asked them. “And you want me to step aside quietly? That’s not happening.”“I said … you guys are going to have to remove me because this is not fair. You haven’t even asked me what my tweets said, what I meant by my tweets, nothing.”She posted a social media response apologizing for her comments, but said she’d been let down by Baillie and the party. Crnogorac, a former personal trainer and university basketball player, said the party also repeatedly asked her to remove a picture of her from her Instagram profile.Baillie said all candidates are vetted and that includes reviews of social media issues, but that Crnogorac’s tweets were missed by party volunteers.“Obviously our system didn’t work as it should have in this case and we are taking internal steps to strengthen it,” he said, adding that her removal was due to the content of her comments. “I have no interest in the gender of the candidate. I think everyone should be treated equally and with the same standard. The line that was drawn was around the issues that had been posted.”Crnogorac is the third candidate to be dropped during the campaign, one each for the three major parties.Her withdrawal came a day after Dartmouth East NDP candidate Bill McEwen withdrew after CTV published material from his old website, the Bullpen.The former military officer and journalist had attempted to take the website down — after not posting on it since 2013 — but someone managed to find it from a cached archive.In addition to derogatory terms for gay people, the opening statement of the site’s mission noted, “in a world of breast implants, fast food and cheap beer, what’s not to love about being a man.” The content included a number of columns on sexual topics with titles such as “ovulation: man’s best friend,” and “forbidden fruit.”Last week, the Liberals dismissed candidate Matthew MacKnight over comments he made on social media in 2013. The Pictou East candidate purportedly called someone an expletive and used the hashtags #downsyndrome and #stupidcustomers on May 28, 2013, according to Global News.
After dropping Jonah off at home, Mr. Tuttle exchanged goodnight texts with him – and that was the last anyone would ever hear from the young performer.It was only on Tuesday, the day after dark day, that anyone grew seriously concerned about unanswered texts to Jonah’s phone. Members of the Shaw ensemble started trying to contact the actor after he uncharacteristically missed a rehearsal that afternoon. Then, he didn’t show up for the call for his evening performance of the musical on the main stage at the festival: Me and My Girl.Later that evening, Mr. Tuttle was home with his family when his boss reached him to tell him that his partner had been found. “She had to tell me three times what had happened, because I didn’t believe her. I didn’t want it to be true.” Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Advertisement Actors don’t get weekends. Instead, theatre companies tend to have one day a week when no performances are scheduled, traditionally called the “dark day.”At the Shaw Festival, the eclectic repertory theatre company now in its 56th season in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont., Monday is dark day – and it was on just such a Monday this summer that something dark took a popular, outgoing 22-year-old actor named Jonah McIntosh.The previous day, Sunday, July 9, Jonah and his partner, Marcus Tuttle, social-media manager at the Shaw, had taken advantage of rare, overlapping time off to go on a hike around the Niagara Escarpment. Then, they saw the new Spider-Man movie – which Jonah, a Marvel fan, pronounced his favourite version to date – had dinner and drove home listening to songs from the Broadway musical Hamilton, singing and dancing along in their seats. Login/Register With: Twitter Advertisement
Laurie HamelinAPTN NewsThe widow of a deceased man says an allegedly repealed controversial organ transplant policy in British Columbia played a role her in late husband’s death two weeks ago.Gagan Grewal says her husband Gaurav Chopra died of liver disease on Aug. 3, and that his only chance for survival had been a liver transplant.Grewal reached out to APTN News after seeing the network’s story about David Dennis last week.Dennis made headlines after filing a human rights complaint against provincial health authorities after allegedly being denied a spot on the waiting list due to a policy that requires potential transplant recipients to be abstinent from drugs and alcohol for six months.After news of Dennis’ case went public, the Provincial Health Services Authority and B.C. Transplant said the former abstinence policy had been abandoned in May.When Gaurav was told he had end-stage liver disease in June, he had been alcohol-free since March — three months, says Grewal.“I should have fought more for him. I just trusted the doctors to do the right thing. I did trust the system a lot. I didn’t think they’ll just let him die,” she said.Grewal said Gaurav had an appointment with a liver specialist on June 7.“That is when the doctor said his liver is completely gone, and then there is the six-month period that he will need to wait for.”The couple didn’t question the abstinence policy — but that changed when Gaurav’s health took a turn for the worse in mid-June.“That’s when he got worse and that is when we questioned them, and they were still insisting ‘no’,” Grewal recalls.“Even the nurses, they were like, they are very strict about this policy and they won’t budge.”By late July Gaurav’s condition had worsened, at which time Grewal says they were told there was nothing doctors could do.“It was point of no return after that.”Gaurav, 42, died in the Vancouver General Hospital — at the six-month mark of his sobriety.Grewal said she was shocked to learn via APTN that B.C. Transplant had dropped the policy in May of this year.Last week the organization, which coordinates organ transplantation in B.C., told APTN David Dennis’s situation was a “misunderstanding”. It apologized to Dennis.Dr. Eric Yoshida, a transplant hepatologist and member of the liver transplant team at Vancouver General Hospital, also told APTN the policy had changed.“It was discussed within our team since last summer,” Yoshida explained.“Our arguments were presented and there was much debate and it’s basically been abolished,” he said. “We had dedicated meetings to this and we have our rounds every week and then it just kind of gradually became adopted as a functional policy. The general agreement with all the people on the team was probably the end of May.”But Grewal says there was no misunderstanding with her husband’s case.“The policy was still there. They never ever told us it doesn’t exist,” she said. “There was not even ever a hint that this policy does not exist.”B.C, Transplant still features the policy on its website.“All patients being considered for a liver transplant at the Solid Organ Transplant (SOC) clinic must be abstinent from drugs and alcohol for a minimum of six months.”Dr. Yoshida and B.C.’s Provincial Health Services Authority both said they cannot legally comment on Gaurav’s case due to doctor-patient email@example.com@Laurie_Hamelin